Tuesday, March 27, 2007

healthy AND quick

i've recently developed an interest in cooking. it's a (very) mild interest, but those who know me know that's no small thing.

but here's my problem: i want to make healthy meals and i want to have simple recipes since i'm just learning. those two things don't seem to exist together. i've found cook books for quick and easy (5 or 6 ingredients, lots of photos to show what the meal will look like) and i've found recipes for healthy (low sugur, low sodium, low fat). but the healthy books seem to have lots of ingredients (that i'm not familiar with) and lots of steps and they don't have photos.

anyone out there know if there are any beginner cook books for healthy meals?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristin, I am the BIGGEST FAN of Cooking Light magazine, and their website has all of their recipes. They have quick, easy meals and you won't be disappointed. Check it out.

JJisafool said...

Healthy does often mean more ingredients, because it means less, preferably no, processed foods.

I think the best way to learn to cook is to learn how to think like a cook. Read recipes to figure out the whys - what tastes go together, how long things should cook. Clamp yourself too much to recipes and you'll always worry about screwing up. Things won't stick, and it won't be fun.

Nice that you can call your mom, too. I'm a waaaaaaaaaaaay better cook than both my mother and mother-in-law, so I go online when I have a problem.

Wendy said...

I sent the request to my personal chef.

And I'm with Megan - Cooking Light is really great.