Thursday, July 13, 2006

sadness

today i found out that a friend of mine lost a very, very close friend of hers. actually, i found out about it a few days ago in a round about way but mistakenly thought it was someone else who died (a distant relative of mine and a friend of the family of hers.)

anyway, i didn't call her or worry about her because the person who (i thought) had died was old and it was a natural end to a long life. but still, i sent her a card to tell her i was thinking of her.

she called me today to thank me for the card and when i mentioned the name of the person i thought she was upset about, it turns out it wasn't that person at all. she lost a very close friend - so close that he was really more like family. i actually met him and his wife a few months ago at my friend's house and i liked both of them very, very much. and when my friend told me it was *him* who had died, i gasped. i was stunned and i was sad for my friend. and i was sad that i hadn't picked up the phone a few days ago to see how she was doing.

i'm sad for my friend. i know she's hurting and i wish i could help in some way.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Your friend probably needed the solitude & when she was ready, I'm sure you were there with the right things to say.

You're a great person and a terrific friend.

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't kick yourself about something you didn't know about. And I am sure that now that you do know, you will be there for her in whatever way she needs.
-Elizabeth