Friday, August 11, 2006

20 pounds

my doctor told me yesterday that i need to lose 20 pounds.

twenty. pounds.

that's a lot. i'm only 5'2".

it bugged me all day. i've never been told by anyone that i needed to lose weight. ever. i've always been the small, athletic girl who could eat whatever i wanted and not gain any weight. i've always been active. i only gained 20 pounds when i was pregnant with kate (and lost it all and then some after she was born) and i only gained 17 pounds with jack. i've been working out with a trainer for 2 years. i'm strong. but apparently overweight as well.

sheesh.

the doctor asked me to tell her about my diet and i was really proud - i started ticking off all the nutritious, organic foods i eat and proudly told her that i stopped eating meat about 3 months ago.

she cut me off halfway through my list and asked me, "so where are all the vegetable?"

um.....vegetables?

riiiiiiiiight.

sort of forgot about that.

apparently i'm eating way too much dairy and protein and not enough vegetables.

sigh. so i'm off to the grocery store to buy some carrots and celery and any other rabbit food i think i can stand to eat.

those pounds better melt off me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least it is the right time of year to have to eat veggies when they are ripe and fresh. winter veggies are just awful in comparison.
good luck with it all! having to lose weight sucks (especially since you are already doing so many of the right things), so you definetly have my sympathy!
-Elizabeth
ps. have a great time at the beach and don't think about all of this!

Wendy said...

Eliz is right - great time for veggies...gotta love the farmers market. You'll do fine, but yes it stinks. I'm sorry! Have a good trip.

PJoyLynn said...

i don't know if you know this, but the doctor's scales are set 10 lbs higher than reality. i did some checking around after my last dr appt, and it seems to be the general consensus. they do this to support the local farmers, i think. i'm still waiting for someone to come out with the all carb diet.