Friday, January 05, 2007

history repeats itself

the kids and i are in north carolina where we've been visiting some of my college friends for the past few days. it's been a great visit and the kids have been pretty good.

and then i took the kids to the hotel pool this afternoon.

i had the forethought to bring bathing suits, but not floaties. when we got to the pool, i told kate to stay on the steps. she'd been playing for a few minutes (and jack didn't want to go in) when she stepped off the bottom step and into water over her head.

i've heard people say things move in slow motion when stuff like this happens, but there was nothing slow about it. before i even had time to think about what i was doing, i jumped in the pool (with my brand new dankso clogs on and my cell phone in my hand, of course) and pulled her up into my arms.

her tiny, wet body clung to me and we were both shaking as i climbed out of the pool and gripped her tightly to me.

the funny thing is i remember the exact same thing happening when i was 3 or 4: i was in the kiddy pool and my dad was standing by watching me (in his tennis clothes, of course). i vaguely remember being under the water and not being able to stand back up and then my dad jumped in and scooped me up.

i've been shaking for the past hour as i remember the look of absolute fear in kate's eyes as she was under the water. what if i hadn't been standing there? what if i'd been changing jack into his swimsuit when it happened and i didn't see her go under? what if, what if.

she's safe and sound and eating her pasta and playing with a plastic toy she got in a kid's meal and i am grateful for small miracles.

5 comments:

TASZL said...

I also remember that day when Dad jumped in after you. It is amazing how we can remember things from our early childhood.

Speaking of which remember being electrocuted in Germany! :)

kristin said...

i will *never* forget being electrocuted :) i still have a tiny little scar on the tip of my left index finger.

Wendy said...

I'm so glad she's okay! Yikes! (how's the cellphone?)

The same thing happened to Max. Except I wasn't looking and my friend Wendy jumped in fully clothed and saved him. At least you win for the better mother in the long run/saving department.

Momo said...

I'm so glad she's safe. It sounds very scary - but you WERE watching and you reacted very quickly. I'm always afraid I won't react the right way in a crisis - but you certainly did.

steakbellie said...

i think everybody gets one of these. my middle son stepped right into a pool when he waqs little, and i cleared the yard and the length of the pool before he touched bottom. scarey stuff and wet wallets.....

nice catch, mom