Sunday, February 05, 2006

"just a minute..."

yesterday, jeff asked kate to get a blanket from the living room.

kate smiled and said, "just a minute, dumbass."

jeff and i both froze and looked at each other and jeff gave me a knowing glare over his glasses and asked me if i wanted to handle this one (because, truly, i have the potty mouth in the family).

so i sat down with kate and explained that there are some words adults can use and some words that kids can use and that dumbass was only for adults. i told her i'd try not to say it as much (it's my favorite word when i'm driving and dodging dumb drivers) but that i didn't want to hear her say it again.

is it wrong that it makes me laugh a little bit when i hear her little voice in my head?

"just a minute, dumbass."

2 comments:

Wendy said...

yikes. I'll never forget when one of my kids told one of our business associates that they were allowed to say the F word at home - but not out of the house. He literally choked. What the kid meant was "fart"... Our strategy these days is teaching them when it is NOT okay to use any questionable words - like in front of grandparents or at school. So far, so good.

Wendy said...

Just testing out Cocomment. It's nifty...check it out!