Tuesday, April 11, 2006

happy birthday, dad

my dad turned 59 this morning. which means that next year he'll be 60. how did that happen? i know 60 is the new 40 or something like that, but still. MY dad is almost SIXTY? wow.

when my brothers and i were growing up, we'd ask my dad what he wanted for his birthday. every year he'd say something like 'for you to get good grades' or 'for you to be more responsible' or, his favorite, 'for peace and quiet'. and every year my brothers and i would roll our eyes and say 'no, really. what do you want?'. we thought he was such a dork about that.

but now, as a parent myself, i get it. finally, i get it. it's too late for good grades or to be more responsible (i've got responsibility coming out my ears, now) or even for peace and quiet. so i hope it's enough that he knows that i understand, now. i understand and i appreciate it. all of it.

love you, dad. xoxoxxoxo

2 comments:

Wendy said...

sweet. happy birthday kristin's dad!

Jodie said...

I agree. Suddenly there is an epiphany and you "get it." Then the dreaded "I'm becoming my mother" thing will creep up on you!