Tuesday, May 16, 2006

MS

jeff just found out that one of his best friends has MS. he's a 34-year-old guy, married a couple of years with an 8-month-old baby. he doesn't know what's next...it could be something that doesn't make much of a difference in his life or it could progress rapidly. his doctors don't know, he doesn't know and we don't know.

another one of jeff's friends, who is only 36, had a mild heart attack last week. i feel like this is the stuff that is supposed to be happening to my parents' friends. not ours. are we old enough, now, that people we know are having 'adult' sicknesses? how did that happen?

jeff and i talked on the phone, just now, and we agreed that the changes we've been making to our diets (mostly organic, mostly veggies and fish (red meat only once per week) and nothing with hydrogonated oils or trans fats) is something we'll need to keep doing. we started it just to see if we could and now we agree that we need to keep these changes. we're not not getting younger and there's no more time to say that we'll do it when we're older. we ARE older. it's time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kris. These things are happening all the time to people of all ages. Not just to older folks. In my life I've seen people die of cancer leaving a very young husband and two or three kids to raise. This is life...and death. Too many times have I witnessed what seemed an untimely passing. And you always feel as though it is "too early" that the person was "too young". Always.

Oh, and AHEM...your diet sounds familiar to me.... Heart, Momxxxx

Wendy said...

If you & Jeff are older, I don't want to think of the word that describes Andrew & me. Eek.

Jodie said...

Scares you doesn't it. A 40's friend of ours died of an anerism this year! Made me think of all kinds of things I needed to DO, SAY, PLAN, COUNTERACT!

Live & Love as much as we can in the time we have always sounds great...but hard to do!

My mother-in-law has MS. She was confirmed when my husband was 12 and he is almost 40. Hopeful he will end up with the remission type. She uses a walker now but for years it would go into remission.